Monday, March 7, 2011

A Little Spice in My Life...

Have you ever looked at the spices in your cupboard? I mean really looked at them?

It amazes me how many condiments, oils, spices and sauces I have stuffed in our tiny cupboard -- and yet I have no idea what the hell they're for! 

I was all gung-ho about cooking something Friday, being that I had to travel to Atlanta for work over the weekend. But a simple recipe for “Chili Mac” and another for “Four Cheese Baked Penne” sent me into such a tizzy, I threw in the towel.


It’s my fault for thinking I could tackle two different dishes. But my bf hates (I mean HATES) cheese, except for mozzarella, so I knew he wasn’t going to eat any of my cheesy penne. Luckily I found the chili mac recipe and thought, ‘Let’s do it!’

Then I hit a snag.
I didn’t have any of these ingredients. These are just some of the things I needed for the four-cheese penne: Whole wheat penne …small-curd low-fat cottage cheese (has anyone ever seen SMALL-CURD anything before?) … 15oz. of low-sodium crushed tomatoes …dried rosemary … part-skim ricotta cheese …part-skim mozzarella cheese …8oz. of low-sodium tomato sauce ...

Finally, I saw an ingredient I was sure I had!

“Hon, do we have chili flakes?” I called out to my bf.

“Hmm. I don’t think so,” he answered.

“Are you sure? I could’ve sworn I bought chili flakes,” I said before walking into the kitchen.

Wouldn’t you know it – I have RED PEPPER flakes and chili POWDER, but no friggin’ chili flakes! I was beside myself.

Beyond frustrated, I took one more look at the 17-item ingredient list for the penne dish and the 14 ingredients needed for my bf’s chili mac and then … gave up. I instead turned my attention to the actual necessities on our shopping list – like toilet paper, baby wipes (which we used to clean our two bunnies…don’t ask.), paper towels, milk, water – well, you get the picture.


But when I got home, I took another look inside my cupboard and shook my head. Most of my spices were purchased with the hope that I’d have time to try a new recipe here and there. But most of the containers remain unopened. Of course, we have the basics: garlic and onion powder, sea salt, pepper …but then there are other things, like Old Bay Seasoning, paprika, Mrs. Dash’s basil, tomato and garlic seasoning, Season All Seasoned Salt, and ground white pepper for crying out loud. It’s absurd how many things I have here that have gone unused.


So if anyone has any recipes that call for Old Bay and white ground pepper, I’m all ears.

1 comment:

  1. ok well 1st you could have just mixed the chili and flakes and ground them up you would have had your chili flakes. chili flakes ARE red pepper flakes. 2nd once you get the hang of cooking certain items will become basics. I always stock up at mkts for can goods like crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, plum tomatoes etc. ragu sauces, pasta boxes all shapes and sizes (and no matter what a recipe says u can always switch arnd). cheeses - however, i buy as need. GOOD LUCK! u'll b a pro in no time.

    ReplyDelete